New Patients / To Register


You can complete your new patient registration online by clicking both the first and second circular tabs titled New Patient Questionnaire Online and New Patient Registration Form GMS 1 online (please ensure you include your email address, mobile telephone number and fully complete both forms). The completed forms are electronically sent to the practice.

The practice aims to complete your registration within 3 working days on receipt of your completed registration forms.

Once you are registered, you will receive a welcome message detailing your named GP and practice information.

Any further documentation required will be emailed to you regarding accessibility preferences e.g. Third party consent, Summary Care Records and National Data-opt Out.


Registration forms can either, be printed off for completion via the third tab ,or alternatively, a new patient registration pack can be collected from our practice reception. Once complete these can be dropped into our reception (please ensure you include your email address and mobile telephone number).

The practice aims to complete your registration within 3 working days on receipt of your completed registration forms.

Once you are registered, you will receive a welcome message detailing your named GP and practice information.



If registering children under the age of 5 years :

A paper registration is required for each child which can be printed off from either the practice website or collected via our Reception Desk. Once completed please return with a copy of the child immunisation history from the red book to Darwen Healthcare or email to

Catchment Area

Practice Area

General outline of the Practice Area, pleas contact if you live near the black line to ensure you are within our coverage

Temporary Patient Registrations

You can receive emergency treatment from a GP surgery for up to 14 days – for example, if you fall ill while on holiday. If your treatment will last longer than that, you'll have to register as a temporary or permanent resident.

You can register as a temporary resident if you're in the area for longer than 24 hours but less than 3 months. To register as a temporary patient simply contact the local practice you wish to use. Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment.

If you are away from home but need to see a doctor you can receive EMERGENCY TREATMENT from a local GP practice. Emergency treatment does not include routine appointments for on-going issues or non-urgent hospital referrals.

If you develop an acute illness while you are away from home that requires emergency treatment you can contact the surgery and ask to register as a temporary resident. We will ask you to complete a Temporary Registration Form.  You can register as a temporary resident with a GP in England if you are in their area for longer than 24 hours but less than three months.

What does temporary registration mean?

You’ll still remain registered with your permanent GP, but you can see a temporary GP for up to three months.  If you'll be in the area for longer than 3 months, you'll have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice. The temporary GP will pass details of any treatment you have to your permanent GP, who will add the information to your medical records.

What information do I need?

In order to be able to treat you appropriately the following information is needed by a temporary GP:

  • details of any medical conditions you have
  • details of medical conditions you’ve had in the past
  • the name of any medicines you’re currently taking
  • details of anything you’re allergic to
  • contact details for your permanent GP

Read the answers to more questions about NHS Services and Treatments.

I’m Away From Home But Need Medication!

It is not our policy to issue prescriptions for repeat medication for temporary patients.

It is important that you remember to take enough medication with you when you travel away from home. If you are away from your UK home and have run out or forgotten to bring medication with you, you should contact the surgery where you are registered. You can ask them to forward a prescription (either electronically or by fax) to a pharmacy near to where you are for you to collect.

It is up to you to locate a pharmacy and obtain their address, fax or Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) details.  You will need to pass these details to your GP surgery as they will not be able to forward a prescription without this information. You should not register as a temporary patient at a local GP surgery in order to obtain repeat medication if you live in the UK.

If you are unable to contact your GP (e.g. it is out of hours) you may be able to get an emergency supply of your medicine by contacting NHS 111 or a walk in centre alternatively you could contact a local community pharmacy.

You must have been prescribed the medicine before. In addition to this, the pharmacist:

  • will usually need to see you face-to-face
  • must agree that you need the medicine immediately
  • will usually need evidence that you have been prescribed that medicine before
  • must be satisfied with the dose that is most appropriate for you to take

The pharmacist will then make a note of:

  • your name and address
  • the nature of the emergency
  • the date of the emergency supply
  • the name, quantity, form (e.g. capsules, tablets or liquid) and strength of the medicine

Is it an NHS service?

No. Supplying medicine for people who have forgotten or run out of their regular medication whilst away from home is a private service that is not funded by the NHS. This means that pharmacists can charge for it. The charge will vary and will depend on the medicine and the pharmacist’s policy.

For more information on temporary registrations and obtaining medications please see the following links:

How can I see a GP if I am away from home?

Where can I get emergency medication?

Non-English Speakers

These fact sheets have been written to explain the role of UK health services, the National Health Service (NHS), to newly-arrived individuals seeking asylum. They cover issues such as the role of GPs, their function as gatekeepers to the health services, how to register and how to access emergency services.

Special care has been taken to ensure that information is given in clear language, and the content and style has been tested with user groups.

Open the leaflets in one of the following languages:

Disabled Patient Facilities

Our surgery is accessible to patients using a wheelchair. We also have an allocated parking space outside the practice which is reserved for patients displaying a blue badge. 

There are no steps and there are automatic electronic entrance doors. There is a lift for access to Floor Level 1.

All consulting rooms are suitable for disabled patients and wheelchair access

At Darwen Healthcare there is a disabled toilet, and wheelchair users can access a low-level Reception counter. The reception desk is fitted with a hearing aid loop system.